Coquitlam residents are petitioning the City Council for additional off-leash park spaces to let their dogs run free. Currently there are only four parks in Coquitlam with off-leash areas compared to Vancouver which has 31 parks.
Letting the pets run free comes with a set of responsibilites that should be followed. Here are some tips from the City of Coquitlam:
- Abide by the City’s bylaws around pets and animals.
- Your dog/s must be leashed at all times unless you’re in a park that has dog unleashed areas and times;
- You must clean up after your dog;
- Your pets must not cause a nuisance to the community.
- If your dog is classified as a vicious dog by virtue of its breed it should be muzzled at all times in public places. Refer to the Animal Bylaw to view a list of dogs classified as vicious by virtue of breed.
- If your dog has been designated as a vicious dog, due to a vicious attack, you must keep your dog kenneled on your property and keep it muzzled at all times in public places.
- You must licence your dog.